| || |
Advance Minerals makes color selection both fun and foolproof! Two beautiful color pallets are available with pre-selected tones that will give you some great combos for your daily routine. You can also start with an empty compact and customize to your hearts content. The lipsticks and lip glosses are gorgeous and give you endless combinations to enjoy. This is one of the most comfortable and lasting lipcolors I have worn.
One of my favorite and most versatile products in this line is the highlight cream. There is one in each compact and a 3rd available to order separately. This can be used as a traditional highlighter to add a soft glow to the high points on the face but it can also be used as a cream shadow on the eyes, or as a lip highlighter. The 3 color options are stunning.
To get Okay, so what if foundation and concealer didn't have to be the big cover up? Many of the foundations we wear to cover skin imperfections actually make them worse. If you find yourself applying more and more layers and feeling like you can't leave the house without your makeup then maybe its time to re-think everything that's going onto ( and into) your skin.
Parabens, silicones, synthetic fragrances, mineral oils etc. are just a few of the controversial ingredients used in cosmetics today. Some of these ingredients are endocrine disruptors, skin irritants, comedogenic and some are toxic to our bodies and the environments.
In the search for foundation and concealer that excluded harmful ingredients I found a lot of mediocrity. Most formulas were rated highly on the "safety scale" but the performance was just not there. There was no way as a makeup artist that I could promote a product that didn't go on well and stay on well.
Advanced Minerals was the perfect fit. This product has a beautiful lasting airbrush finish as well as safe and healing formulations.
The liquid foundation comes in 7 self adjusting formulas making it easy to get a good match and versatile for my clients as they go through the seasons. The product is anti microbial, anti inflammatory, light weight and long lasting. It won't clog pores and is perfect for sensitive skin. No dyes, perfumes, talc, mineral oil or parabens.
Loose and pressed powders can be used alone or with the liquid and contain the same great resume as the liquid foundation. They are build-able and blend-able with a beautiful light diffusing technology. All of AM Foundations and powders contain natural sunscreen. The pigments are very finely milled and won't give you that bounce back white face in a photo and they won't settle accentuate fine lines.
The perfecting concealer works beautifully as an under eye or blemish cover up as well as a primer for your eye shadows. Using a light and dark concealer can give you the ability to contour like the pros! Secret ingredients? Grapeseed oil, vitamin E and shea butter that hydrate your skin. It won't clog pores and won't settle into fine lines but it will stay put all day!
Interested in trying any of these formulas? Schedule a FREE makeup lesson in March at Image Insight. You can also attend our Shake Up Your Makeup Class on March 30. Click on Schedule Now to book.
Bringing this post back! Several years later it is still a passion and still very relevant.
Thanks Lauren for including me in your Ten Commandments of fashion! My name is Trish Allen ( AKA Lauren's Mom) and I am the owner/principal makeup artist at Image Insight Makeup Artistry. Here at I.I. we obviously live and breathe for makeup and although we don't expect the average woman to feel the same way about the topic we are excited to share our Insight on just how important makeup can be as an accessory to your look.
Similar to clothing, jewelry and shoes- the way you wear or don't wear makeup tells the world how you want to be treated. It sets the stage for positive, or possibly negative, interactions with those who need to make a quick decision about who you are and what you stand for. Of course the argument to the contrary would state that if someone doesn't make the effort to know and judge you for the person that you are on the inside, then they really don't deserve to know you at all. Sounds like a great ideal- but that is all that it is. Each and every day we interact with others and in a split second they are sizing us up. Fair? NOPE. Realty, YUP! There are statistics available to back this up but I won't bore you with those.
So here are a few tips on accessorizing with makeup.
1. Makeup should enhance your natural beauty. Concealer can absolutely be your friend when it comes to dark circles and the occasional blemish but overall "hiding" with products never works....it usually calls attention to what you want to hide. Find your best features and make them pop!
2. Your biggest makeup investment should be foundation. It needs to match perfectly and may need to change seasonally. It's nearly impossible to get a perfect match without trying it on so stay away from the closed packages at the drugstore. This is a great time to reach out for help from a professional. Your Esthetician can help you choose the right shade and also the right formula for your skin type.
3. Just like the outfit that you wear, makeup should be appropriate to the situation at hand. An office job would likely call for a light touch and neutral colors where someone in an artistic or fashion related field may safely experiment with color and a little drama. Smoky eyes are perfect for a night out and bright red lips can make a beautiful holiday statement but either of these choices may send the wrong message at your grandmother's funeral.
The most important thing to remember about makeup is that it washes off! I had the pleasure of taking a class with celebrity MU Artist Luis Casco and he said: "There is no makeup mistake that can't be fixed with a cotton tip applicator". Don't be afraid to try something new. Have fun!
Trish Allen, Image Insight
Photo Courtesy of Jim Tincher Photography
Model: Rebecca White
Makeup: Trish, Image Insight
It all started with a weekend girls trip.... It was our first ever Skin and Body convention held in Chicago. 4 excited Aesthetic students, one rental car and what seemed like millions of vendors all selling their wares. It was totally overwhelming and exhilarating at the same time. We wandered the aisles looking for products and treatments that would potentially benefit our future clients.
I walked past the Advanced Minerals booth and then turned back and did a double take. This was a makeup line used on the Sets of Grey's Anatomy and NCIS. They had my attention. Aesthetician and TV, Film Makeup Artist Annie Mayo had worked with many wonderful brands of makeup but she "always felt that there was room for improvement in women's makeup". She created this line with minerals and ingredients that are "skin loving" and free of damaging chemicals and preservatives. As a skin care professional I can truly get behind makeup that heals and nourishes the skin!
This company fits right in with my Small Business friendly goal. Any question that I have is answered swiftly and sweetly by Annie herself. She has been a pleasure to work with!
The product line is streamlined and for a new Aesthetician that was very important. My studio space is limited but offering a great cosmetic line was a high priority for me. Many of the products are multipurpose which saves me space and my clients money. The foundations are safe and healthy. I have no problem applying them immediately after a skin care treatment. The colors are glorious and I can't wait to show them off to you in future blogs!
Stay tuned for more Shake up your makeup blogs coming soon!
Shake up your Makeup Workshop scheduled Thursday March 30 at 6pm.
Dermaplaning is a very effective and gentle method of exfoliation in which the trained practitioner uses a 10 gauge scalpel to remove the top layer of the epidermis. The skin is prepped with a thorough cleanse followed by the application of an AHA/BHA solution witch begins to loosen up the bonds between the skin cells. Once completely dry, the Esthetician will gently scrape the surface of the skin in small upward strokes using a sterile blade. This will remove dead skin cells as well as the vellus (fine downy) hair. The process is followed up by massaging an enzyme over the face and neck which dissolves any leftover dead cells leaving the skin soft and glowing. This is the perfect time to apply a treatment mask to target and treat the skins specific conditions. The skin is prepped and ready to absorb nutrients and moisture. To complete this Facial we use one - two treatment serums and the appropriate hydration and SPF.
1. Does it hurt? No, this is actually a very relaxing treatment. For some, the Enzyme can feel warm and tingly but it is temporary and any discomfort dissipates when the product is removed with a cool towel and the mask is applied.
2. Is it safe for Sensitive Skin? Yes, as long as there are no sensitivities to the products used this is a safe exfoliation method for sensitive skin. Because the Esthetician can adjust the amount of pressure used and the number of blade strokes on the skin, she can customize the process for each area of the face.
3. What are the benefits? Removing dead surface cells leaves the skin looking and feeling immediately softer and smoother. It also sends a message to the bottom layers of skin cells to increase production thus increasing cell turnover and improving sluggish aging skin conditions. Product absorption is greatly improved. Removing a layer of dead cells can also improve acne conditions by unclogging pores. Most women love the side effect of temporarily removing vellus hairs and notice both an improvement in product absorption as well as makeup application.
4. Will the hair grow back darker and thicker? No, this is a myth. Velllus hair is different than terminal ( dark) hair and there is nothing that we can do from the outside to turn one into the other. There are internal factors that can cause dark hair growth, such as hormones. As the vellus hair grows back it may initially feel a little courser because it is standing up as it breaks through the skin. As it grows out it will again be soft and downey or you can repeat the Dermaplane facial every 3 - 4 weeks to keep it away.
5. Are there contraindications? Yes a few. Allergies to the ingredients used for treatment or nickel. Any one taking daily blood thinners. Inflamed acne, skin infections, pregnancy, recent use of glycolic acids or AHAs, thick dark facial hair, skin cancer, lesions, use of Accutane within the past year. If you are unsure schedule a skin analysis first and your Esthetician can advise you if this is the best treatment for you.
Meet the Artist
Hi, I'm Trish, owner and Lead MU artist at Image Insight. I love all things pretty and enjoy sharing them with you on this blog!